Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Estes Park guidebook updates

I did not post on this blog yesterday because I was too busy thoroughly enjoying a day in Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park. I wrote about RMNP on pages 177-181 of my Moon Denver guidebook, but the truth is that I had to rely on memories of going up there while on deadline and not my freshest research. Well, one discovery from yesterday was the River Song B & B off of St. Mary's Lake road. There is a porch swing hanging from a large tree branch with about the best view of the park from anywhere! Nice, quiet spot to stay too so I'll be adding it to my next edition. I neglected to mention that the stretch of hike from the Bear Lake Trailhead (after a few minutes on the trail my daughter said, "I thought there would be heads." Then I had to explain what a "trailhead" is.) to Nymph Lake is paved with asphalt. This doesn't mean it's a wheelchair ramp type of trail, just was heavily used. Anyway, I still recommend that hike because it is a good one with little kids or people who are not able to hike very far. A little shop, "Blue Skies and Dragonflies" looked to have the same crafts as every third shop on the main drag, but check it out for how it's built right up to (into?) the rock. The riverwalk was really nice, especially with shade around the waterwheel. The wildflowers were AMAZING!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment