Sunday, July 26, 2009

Denver's dinosaur ridge

I left out the tourist attraction of Dinosaur Ridge in my Moon Denver guidebook because I just never take anyone there. I'm still on the fence about it adding it to my next edition. I took my daughter there this month because it was on our way home from a hike in the foothills and she has developed an interest in dinosaurs. On a weekday, the parking lot was full and business was booming inside the gift shop and new exhibit. We took the $3 guided tour rather than walk up the steep hillside to see the dinosaur footprints, dinosaur bones (not like what you see in a museum at all, just smooth surfaces imbedded in rock) and such. Personally, I love learning about the history of the rocks and the land but the gift shop is turnoff. The new exhibit looks pretty good, like a mini-Denver Museum of Nature & Science. I can't imagine doing that on a hot day or being self-guided ever given how subtle the remains are. It was as much a history of man's follies with such artifacts as anything else. Hmmm, any comments on this one?

1 comment:

  1. I didn't get to spend any time in the museum, but I heard it was well done - nice exhibits. I did take the LONG walk up the hill - which is hot, but well worth the trip. We had a guide and it was really interesting.
    The high school kids in our group were bored, but I think the prime dinosaur age kids would be fascinated!

    ReplyDelete