Sunday, July 5, 2009

Don't miss Devil's Thumb Ranch

On page 190 of my Moon Denver guidebook I wrote about Devil's Thumb Ranch for snowshoeing and cross-country skiing and mentioned their upgrades. Oh my goodness, I had no idea how fabulous the changes were until I spent a night up there in June. Ordinarily I am not exactly open to change and tend to like things to remain the same. But that would be so wrong in this case because the changes are just so SMART. Geo-thermal heating, beetle-kill wood paneling, organic and sustainable farm menu items...I think someone threw out the term "sustainable luxury" and I'm ready to embrace it with a big bear hug. The spa, ooh-la-la, get a hot towel massage, though I heard the Field O'Greens facial was good too. This is also a summer destination now with horseback riding and hikes, or just relaxing and watching the hummingbirds flit about. I swear I was e-mailing my sister from my cozy lodge room with a fireplace about how she needed to call reservations for a cabin immediately. Those cabins--with actual wood-burning stoves--are ideal for family get togethers (all together, with a little separate space). I could go on and on, but I have to save something for the next edition of Moon Denver.

1 comment: