Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Denver area Bear Creek Lake

In my next edition of my Moon Denver guidebook, I will be sure to include Bear Creek Lake of nearby Lakewood in my Arts & Leisure chapter for swimming, boating, fishing, camping and picnicking. I have driven past this recreation area many times and thought it lacked appeal given its proximity to a highway. However, a friend convinced me to go last week and I really liked how close it was to the city but still felt like a nature experience for the day. Thick old cottonwood groves away from the highway make for shaded picnic areas, a visitor center includes wildlife displays (read: taxidermy) and three lakes/reservoirs offers different amenities which keep swimmers and boaters at a safe distance. It is considerably closer than Chatfield or Barr Lake, which I included in my first edition of my Moon Denver guidebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment