Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Echo Mtn. closest Denver skiing

Over the weekend we had a chance to check out the relatively new Echo Mountain Ski Resort, which is a mere 45 minute from downtown Denver. I'm not sure where this might fit in the next edition of my Moon Denver guidebook...not quite an Excursion so more likely Arts & Leisure will get a downhill skiing/snowboarding area. For proximity and price, Echo Mountain is great. For conditions, not so much. In our case it made the most sense to spend less time driving and less money on a first ski lesson for our 4-year old. The wind was intense and freezing cold when we arrived about 9 a.m., though it did improve a bit before we left in the early afternoon. I think this is mostly manmade snow. Echo Mtn. started out as a terrain park in 2004 and it still feels like a snowboarder destination for the most part (can't remember I heard "dude!" so much in so short a time ;), if you get the picture). So with those caveats, I do recommend Echo Mtn. to others and may go again with my own family.

No comments:

Post a Comment